- Introduction to Web Development
- Web Developer Salary in India
- Who is a Web Developer?
- What do they do?
- Web Developers Job Role and Responsibilities
- What are the popular skills to become a web developer?
- Is Web Developer a good career?
- Web Developer Salary Deciding Factors
- 1. Web Developer Salary in India: Based On Experience
- 2. Web Developer Salary in India: Based On Location
- 3. Web Developer Salary in India: Based On Employer
- 4. Web Developer Salary in India: Based On Skill Set
- 5. Web Developer Salary in India: Based On Job Positions
- Web Developer Salary in Other Countries
- Additional Resources
Do you enjoy what goes behind a website?
Do you wonder how these excellent developments are working?
If yes, you might have taken the right start in web development. But the constant struggle is with the in-depth knowledge of the profession and what is in there for you.
Then this post is for you. From the start till the end, all it talks about is web development, what does a web developer do?; what are the skills required for a web developer?; how much is the salary of a web developer in India?; What are the responsibilities like? And so many bunches of questions like these.
This article will answer all your why’s and what’s of web development and a web developer.
Introduction to Web Development
The Internet has remained a miraculous space since the 1990s. While many enjoyed the benefits of it and used it for their advantage. Some have a keen interest to know every reason and logic behind the working of this amazing Internet.
What caught their attention was how a static page could deliver infinite solutions; or the fact that by clicking a button, they are taken to another webpage that serves some other purpose. There was an absolute curiosity to learn about the visual aspect of a website to its functions and modifications.
Succeeding that passion and interest was the beginning of web development.
Website development is a comprehensive process of building a complete website. It could incorporate from working on a plain-text single webpage to developing a full-fledged website for the Internet. This applies to all the work related to:
- Web Markup
- Client-side scripting (Front-end work)
- Server-side scripting (Back-end work)
- Server and Network Security Configuration
- E-commerce development
- Content Management System (CMS) development.
Web development is not just designing a website, it’s a whole process of bringing it to life and maintaining it.
Web Developer Salary in India
Salary speaks what your words and actions cannot. The role and responsibility of a web developer begin with designing and ends with smooth execution and maintaining of a website. Hence, the range of the salary will be according to the knowledge and skills a developer possesses.
The average salary for a Web Developer is ranging from the minimum of ₹125,000 to a maximum of ₹890,000
However, the range of this salary depends upon many factors ranging from experience to the employer to your location.
Who is a Web Developer?
A web developer is a programmer who creates and maintains a website.
Looking at this statement, the job looks so simplified. However, just like any lucrative, easy-looking website goes through a complex process of working, the same is the working of any web developer.
A web developer gives shape to a client’s design, turning his/her idea into a functional website or an application.
What do they do?
Now you must be wondering, how is a web developer’s job different from the job of a web designer?
What does a front-end developer do then?
Does a web developer have to do everything?
First, you need to take a deep breath.
Second, you need to understand there are different types of developers. In addition to this, there is a clear differentiation between a web developer and a designer. The distinct remarkability amongst all these roles is necessary to understand in order to get a more precise idea of the web developer’s salary.
Web development has a wide scope of work and it proffers different areas for web developers to work on. Some of those professions include:
- Back-end Developer: A perfect film is not just about the on-screen acting. It takes into account all the effort put in by the behind-the-scenes team. Similarly, for a website to work with a smooth transition on the server, one needs a back-end developer. They manage all the coding for site structure, content and security.
- Full-stack developers: Unlike the above-mentioned developers, full-stack developers does not specialize in one area of development, rather have an all-around knowledge of different technologies to supervise different areas of a website. They work on the surface as well as on the server.
Following this, the question remains if a front-end developer could visualize the look of the website, what is the need for a web designer?
A web designer works on the visuals/graphics of the website to engage and attract the user using creative tools like Adobe, Photoshop etc.
What is alike: Both Focuses on the user/customer experience.
What is different: The idea that one completely relies on the appearance of the surface while the other achieves the way function of each appeared element.
One takes the graphic side of the website while the other handles the code.
Web Developers Job Role and Responsibilities
As it is clear from the above that a web developer’s salary in India will be based on her/his knowledge of complete designing to execution of a perfect website or web application.
Some of the responsibilities expected from a web developer are:
- Website application designing, building, or maintaining.
- Create website layout/user interface by using standard HTML/CSS practices
- In situations of conflicts, dwell on the idea of clear communication with your team for quick resolution and hassle-free working.
- Be responsible for maintaining, expanding, and scaling the website.
- Cooperate with web designers to match visual design intent
- Keeping yourself under the complete knowledge of the latest updates and modifications in the field of Web Development via attending conferences, workshops; participating in discussions; studying or reading about innovations.
- Checking and validating your test cases and routines in order to ensure the smooth running of codes on all browsers and devices types.
- Always look out for customer feedback and work on the problems and resolutions necessary for achieving significant results.
- Stay plugged into emerging technologies/industry trends for determining user needs
- Make a reserve of website backup files to local directories for emergency recoveries.
What are the popular skills to become a web developer?
Is being a web developer hard?
Nothing is hard if you have true passion and interest.
However, the web developer does not simply equate to writing just lines of codes. It is much more than the basic requirement of learning a coding language. One has to be analytical, yet have clear communication with the team.
For this pivotal role to make you understand the clear skillset, we have divided it into two categories.
- GIT (Code Versioning)
- Basic graphic design
- Back end and Databases
- Working with Hosting (Publishing website)
- Libraries and frameworks
- DevOps and Deployment
- Problem-solving Skills
- Logical Reasoning
- Good Communication
- Attention to Detail
- Curiosity to Learn
- Searching Skills
- Time Management
Both of the skillset are equally important to become a good web developer.
Is Web Developer a good career?
The time that we live in besides being called a Postmodern era can be replaced by the Digital Era. People have deconstructed its application and taken the space of the internet to another level.
Every business, every individual, everything in this digital era needs a website. Starting from a product to a service and even a personal brand requires an online presence and that is possible with a website or a web application.
This unquestionably states the inevitable boom of the web development profession. One just needs the right set of skillsets and learning and the passion to stand out from the rest. As every day, the horizon of a web developer’s career is expanding and escalating.
The trends and the technologies behold a spectacular and booming future ahead.
Key Web Development Trends That Will Rule 2021
- Single Page Websites
- Accelerated Mobile Pages (AMP)
- Progressive Web Apps (PWA)
- Integrating Solutions With Artificial Intelligence
- Chatbots Offering A New Experience
- Internet of Things (IoT)
- WebAssembly Making Web Apps Powerful
- Serverless Architecture
- Push Notifications Are Getting Popular
- Blockchain Technology
- AR/VR Changing Games For All
- Movement User Interface (UI) Design
- Web Server Software
Web Developer Salary Deciding Factors
There are numerous factors besides the job’s demand and position in the country that comes into play while deciding the final salary.
Some of the factors that hugely affect a web developer’s salary are:
- Experience: There is no question of doubt in saying that a salary will depend on the years of a developer’s job experience. A fresher in the field might have the talent but an experienced person might know how to handle the situation better because of the experience.
- Location: Urban locations certainly have a higher pay scale than rural locations as the cost of living comes into play.
- Employer: The company you are entering will surely affect your salary structure as a startup would be willing for more freshers whereas big, reputed employers are willing to pay more because of their position in the market and their financial standing.
- Skillset: More the skills, the better. Especially when a role is as diversified as a web developer every company has their own set of required skillset. So, the number of skills you put a tick on the more likely the higher pay you can get.
- Job Roles: We have discussed the different job roles a web developer could be, and hence based on their demand in the country will be one of the deciding factors of your pay structure.
1. Web Developer Salary in India: Based On Experience
Look at the graphs and stats of the web developer’s salary for fresher, early-level career and mid-level careers.
Web Developer’s Salary for Fresher
An entry-level Web Developer with less than 1-year experience can expect to earn an average total compensation (includes tips, bonus, and overtime pay) of ₹241,239
Early Level Web Developer Salary in India
An early career Web Developer with 1-4 years of experience earns an average total compensation of ₹305,745
Experienced Web Developer Salary in India
An experienced Web Developer with 10-19 years of experience earns an average total compensation of ₹850,000
2. Web Developer Salary in India: Based On Location
Web Developer Salary in Bangalore
The average salary for a Web Developer in Bangalore is ₹398K per year.
Web Developer Salary in Mumbai, Maharashtra
The average salary for a Web Developer in Mumbai is ₹339K per year.
Web Developer Salary in Pune
The average salary for a Web Developer in Pune, Maharashtra is ₹307K per year.
Web Developer Salary in Chennai, Tamil Nadu
The average salary for a Web Developer in Chennai is ₹314K per year.
Web Developer Salary in New Delhi
The average salary for a Web Developer in the capital region is ₹350K per year.
3. Web Developer Salary in India: Based On Employer
Many companies in the technical field pays a great amount to web developers in India. The more interesting fact is that even the lowest average pay amongst below mentioned top employers is 245K/year which is not bad pay for a fresher.
The Top Employers and their average salary for a web developer are:
|Average Pay Range
|TATA Consultancy Services Limited
|₹239k – ₹897k/yr
|₹245k – ₹2m/yr
|₹266k – ₹979k/yr
|₹354k – ₹590k/yr
|₹600k – ₹745k/yr
|₹403k – ₹2m/yr
4. Web Developer Salary in India: Based On Skill Set
Every developer be it full-stack, front-end, or back-end requires a set of skills. It’s not always about several skills you know but a SKILL you know. If you think learning HTML earlier used to suffice, then obviously your pay would be based on that only. A web developer’s salary in India is highly based on the proficiency you have in your skills and your willingness to adapt to new skills.
5. Web Developer Salary in India: Based On Job Positions
A Web Developer has so many career options to explore and the salary will be varied depending on the role you choose.
Job Positions and The Salary
- Front-End Developer
The average salary for a Front End Developer / Engineer is ₹487,802
2. Back-End Developer
The average salary for a Back End Developer / Engineer is ₹393, 054
3. Full-Stack Developer
The average salary for a Full Stack Developer / Engineer is ₹607,012
Web Developer’s Salary in India for a full-stack developer is equated to be the highest paid jobs in India.
Web Developer Salary in Other Countries
Check out the list of average web developer’s salaries in different countries.
If visualizing and creating a website is your passion, this is the right call for you. Web Development is a booming field with immersive career opportunities and a great pay scale structure.
Q.1: Do Web developers get paid well?
A web developer’s salary like any other profession will be based on many factors. Starting from location, a web developer’s salary in India will be an average upon as 300k/yr.
However, if you are a fresher in Australia, your income would be on the average of 2.9m/yr. The difference is huge.
But location is not always the deciding factor. A developer can be eligible for so many job roles, one being a Full-stack developer. This job position is considered to be one of the highest-paid jobs in India.
Q.2: How much money can a Web Developer earn?
A web developer has the potential to grow in so many sectors. From a range of experience to acquiring varied skills, the pay scale also starts to differ. In India, a web developer’s salary for a fresher is approximately a minimum of ₹125,000 while that of an experienced developer’s salary is approximately ₹890,000.
So, a web developer has quite an earning escalation to look up to.
Q.3: Is being a web developer hard?
Everything is hard if you don’t have the passion or the curiosity to learn in your field. Likewise, a web developer’s job comes with defined roles and responsibilities and, if you are willing to grow and explore this field with sincere passion, then this will be rather a productive opportunity for you.
Q.4: What is the minimum salary of a web developer?
In India, the minimum salary of a web developer as a fresher is approximately ₹300,000/yr. This could vary in terms of location, skillset and job role.
Q.5: Can Web developers work from home?
Yes, web developers can work from home. After covid, every job aspirant wishes for a profession that could be suitable for work from home option.
Web Developer in itself is quite a desired profession and its being suitable for the work-from-home option is like a cherry on the top. It allows for more freelancing opportunities for aspiring coders with no professional degrees.