- Introduction to Java
- Java Developer Salary in India: Why is it so High?
- Who is a Java Developer?
- Java Developers Roles and Responsibilities
- What Skills are Required to Become a Java Developer?
- Is Java Still in Demand?
- Why Java?: Demand and Significance
- Why Learn Java?
- Factors Affecting a Java Developer’s Salary
- Java Developer Salary in Other Countries
- How to Prepare for Java Interviews?
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Additional Resources
Can you imagine a world of software development without Java?
It seems uncanny to even layout a possibility of making applications run without java.
From your famous streaming mobile/desktop applications like Netflix, Spotify to gaming consoles to writing instruments like Adobe, Microsoft Word -Java has been used. Your mobile phones, internet, desktop, laptops are somehow using Java to run the applications.
Such applicability of a language is gigantic. This is why the java developer’s salary is considered to be in the category for highest paying jobs in India.
If all of this intrigues you, then this article is the right step towards learning everything about java, java developer, the average salary of a java developer in India, the developer’s role and responsibilities, why it is in demand and so much more.
So let’s get started on what Java is?
Introduction to Java
Java is an object-oriented third-generation programming language that is used in application development for different platforms and works effectually for mobile applications, desktop applications, computers, navigation systems or monitoring devices, etc.
In order to understand the in-depth qualities of Java as a programming language, you must have a basic idea of the terminology for these 3 features i.e. object-oriented, concurrent, and independent.
- Object-oriented: In this concept, the language inclines towards classes and objects. The language is about a concept that uses objects and classes to create the development process easier. Suppose fruit is the class, so the object will be apple, kiwi, pineapple. The object is the instance of the class that takes up certain functions and data like, colour, shape, size, etc. With the aid of object-oriented programming principles, different objects have their own methods and procedures that allow them to work with each other smoothly. Unlike procedural programming where one needs to write every method for the operation to work on data.
- Concurrent: It is the characteristic that gives you the freedom of running several coding statements or programs simultaneously rather than following a strict order.
- Independent: Java is one among the few programming languages that can run codes on different platforms or machines. It supports the motto of ‘Write Once, Run Anywhere’ which makes it a versatile language.
The best part of Java as a programming language is the features do not end here, it has so much to offer to its developers. But before heading to its demand and features, you need to know about a Java Developer.
Java Developer Salary in India: Why is it so High?
The average salary of a java developer in India is ₹458,970/year. The pay scale is ranged from a minimum of ₹200k per annum to the maximum of ₹1million per annum.
The java developer’s salary is significantly higher amongst various other job positions because
- It is in demand by many great companies and employers.
- This programming language is used to make complex applications
- Java developers demand a good pay structure because of the significant role they play in the development team.
- The market is full of opportunities and thereby this role is not going down anytime soon.
However, the salary of a java developer depends on many factors to reach this significantly high target. Factors inclusive of the employer, skill set, location and experience.
Who is a Java Developer?
A Java Developer is a part of the software development team who builds, design and manage the applications using versatile, cross-platform programming language, Java.
He/she not only runs Java code but also is part of the whole process of developing an application. From programming to solving errors, a java developer will ensure effective and efficient development of an application and deployment on server.
Java as a programming language is used by many big companies and developers for programming and building applications and therefore, its wide usage and highly skilled adaptability give an added advantage to Java Developers. Hence, this marks as one of the reasons why java developer’s salary in India is amongst the highest-paying jobs.
Java Developers Roles and Responsibilities
Java is a dynamic language (a language that allows run-time modification, i.e. to change the structure even while the code is running, to increase efficiency and productivity for general-purpose programming.). For a programming language as robust as Java, a developer’s role and responsibility also intensify.
In addition to this, a java developer is responsible for the holistic development of an application which thereby, makes him/her significant in the software development team.
The core roles and responsibilities of a Java Developer are:
- Plan, design, execute, and manage the java application process.
- Write codes for the java-based applications
- Stay up to date with the Java updations
- Test (development testing) and run codes for the application software
- Analyze and debugs the software application
- Work proficiently with database management systems
- Integrate code programming and development testing for frontend and backend applications.
- Participate in the complete analysis process for software applications.
- Assist in maintaining the applications
What Skills are Required to Become a Java Developer?
To become a great Java Developer is not a cakewalk. It requires you to bag some skills in your basket besides just having a keen interest in this language. Every employer while hiring for a Java Developer looks for a certain degree of skills sets you acquire.
You also need to keep in mind that the skillset is one of the deciding factors for finalising the average salary of a java developer in India.
So, below are mentioned some of the skills required to stand out as a Java Developer.
- Fundamentals of Object-Oriented Principles
- Basic understanding of Relational Database Management Systems like ORM or SQL
- Spring Framework: An important component of Java Development that allows companies to build web apps.
- Learn about the Application Program Interfaces (APIs) and Common Libraries. : Some common examples are Guava, Apache Commons, Maven, etc.
- Git and Github
- In-depth understanding of Java Virtual Machine and its elements.
- Algorithm Methodologies
- Data Structures
- Leadership Qualities
- Time Management
- Good Research Skills
- Curious about Learning
Is Java Still in Demand?
Java being a popular language has many times faced comments like
“it’s old”, “it’s slow”, “not better as they say”.
However, the stats say something different.
According to Oracle,
- Java is positioned as first for programming language
- Number one programming language for today’s tech trends
- No.1 programming language for cloud
- Globally 45 billion active JVMs
- Java is the popular choice for many organizations than any other programming language.
- Positioned as no.1 for DevOps, AI, VR, Big Data, Continuous Integration, Analytics, Mobile, Chatbots, and Social
Facts beyond anything else.
There is no denying that Java is still a highly popularised programming language. According to the StackOverflow survey, Java is deemed to be the most popular language for the fifth time in a row.
So this answers the dilemma of whether java is still in demand or not.
But to know why is Java still in demand, keep reading.
Why Java?: Demand and Significance
Java is a language of a dynamic personality. It allows you to play with software, platforms, and programs like no other language. It gives you liberty of making changes in code during run-time, or run it on different platforms which thereby induces creativity.
First, let us look at why it’s the first choice for many developers and companies.
- High Performance: Java’s Just-in-time compiler ensures developers the speed they require while creating an application. One biggest example of this factor is Twitter. According to the reports, Twitter shifted from Ruby on Rails to Java for performance and scalability. For if such a big company chooses Java, there must surely be a quality of speed that other languages do not provide.
- Robust: Storage is the ultimate requirement for many developers and Java is the prime solution to their management problems. The language allows you to check the errors on the go rather than just waiting around for the end. It smoothens the process of creating an application.
- Simple: Simplicity is the key to every great learning. Every coder requires simplicity and, Java was definitely a source of relaxation and comfort for the developers.
- Backward Compatibility: Updations is good for efficiency but when it nullifies your previous work is not something appreciated by companies or developers. However, with Java, a programmer does not have to rewrite code for future versions and could simply use the prime version for any modifications.
Why Learn Java?
If you are an aspiring coder and looking for a language to learn, Java is one of the finest programming languages.
Let’s deep dive into why you should learn this language.
- Money is great: There is now no denying the fact that Java Developers are paid a fairly higher amount in the tech sector compared to other language developers. So, if you are choosing a career with a good monetary prospect, this language should be on your list.
- Easy Learning: When starting with complex programming languages, go with the one with more growth opportunities and a simple learning process. Java has more options for your basic coding practices like if-else or input/output problems.
- Great tools and Libraries: Java offers many great tools and open-source libraries for development like Maven, Guava, etc which makes the coding and editing process simpler. Also, many great companies like Google use Java’s tools and libraries to create efficient application program interfaces (APIs)
- High In Demand: As discussed above java is quite in demand amongst big companies and developers and therefore, should be on your priority list to learn this.
Factors Affecting a Java Developer’s Salary
Java Developer Salary: Based on Experience
A java developer is not just a programmer who writes codes to run a program. He/she works towards the full period of development – from design to deployment. To be efficient in all parts of the application development process, the developer has to have a good amount of experience.
Therefore, while deciding on the average salary of a java developer in India, experience plays a key role as a deciding factor.
The average salary of a java developer for a fresher is ₹293,272 per annum whereas for an experienced java developer the average pay is ₹1,396,371 per annum.
|Experience||Average Base Pay/yr (INR)|
|Fresher (>1 year)||₹293,272|
|Early Career (1-4 years)||₹426,176|
|Mid Career (5-9 years)||₹872,366|
|Experienced (<10 years)||₹1,396,371|
Look at the graph below to observe an increase in pay with experience.
Java Developer Salary: Based on Location
Bangalore is called India’s Silicon Valley, Pune is famous for its job opportunities but no one has ever heard of Rajasthan that much for great job openings. And this highlights our second significant salary deciding factor that is, Location
Every location has a different set of opportunities and demands. In India mostly the metropolitan cities have better job opportunities than small towns. Therefore, location plays a lot more in deciding your pay structure than you think.
|Location||Average Base Pay/yr (INR)|
|Pune, Maharashtra||₹217K – ₹1M|
|Bangalore, Karnataka||₹242K – ₹1M|
|Chennai, Tamil Nadu||₹200K – ₹909k|
|Mumbai, Maharashtra||₹209K – ₹1M|
|Hyderabad, Andhra Pradesh||₹200K – ₹980K|
|Noida, Uttar Pradesh||₹199K – ₹1M|
|Gurgaon, Haryana||₹219K – ₹1M|
|New Delhi, Delhi||₹252K – ₹2M|
|Jaipur, Rajasthan||₹85K – 740K|
|Indore, Madhya Pradesh||₹118K – ₹608K|
Source – Payscale
Check out the two images of the average salary of a developer in Jaipur versus a Java developer’s salary in New Delhi.
City: New Delhi
Findings: It is clear from the stats above mentioned that cities like Hyderabad, Jaipur and Indore have a pay scale below-average base salary of a java developer, unlike the case of cities like Bangalore, New Delhi, Pune.
Java Developer Salary: Based on Employer
Starting your career at a startup or a big firm might not only have different learning opportunities but pay scale as well. Bigger companies have larger responsibilities and stable financial standing to give their employees the average base pay in comparison to the startups that are on the brim of growing big.
Henceforth, where you get hired plays a major role in deciding your pay structure.
Some of the Top companies who hire java developers in India are
- Tata Consultancy Services Limited
- InfoSys Limited
- HCL Technologies Ltd.
- IBM India Pvt. Ltd.
- Dell, Inc
Check out the salary structure of these top companies from the table below.
|Company||Average Pay/ yr (INR)||For Fresher (p.a.)||For Experienced (p.a.)|
|HCL Technologies Ltd.||₹560,000||₹356,078||₹1,175,000|
|IBM India Ltd.||₹540,000||₹492,753||₹986,000|
|Tata Consultancy Services||₹459,061||₹447,276||₹778,103|
Java Developer Salary: Based on Skill Set
Java is extensively used by bigger companies and clients for building applications on different platforms. Therefore the demand is obvious.
So, for standing out from the rest of the crowd, a java developer’s skills can really affect his/her pay structure.
See in the table below how different skills can differ the java developer’s salary
|Skills||Average Pay/ yr (INR)|
|Amazon Web Services||₹625,000|
Source – Payscale
Java Developer Salary: Based on Job Roles
While learning your way to become a Java developer you acquire skills that can open a lot of opportunities for you to grow. There are many job roles that might suit your skillset and responsibility.
Some of the Job Roles that can be fit for a java developer are
- Software Developer
- Software Engineer
- Principal Architect
- Devops Engineer
It is to be noted that these job roles can be achieved in the span of your career path throughout the years. You cannot expect to become a software development director with your first job. Everything comes with experience. However, the pay will be different for each of the job roles.
Check out the average pay structure for these job roles in India.
|Job Roles||Average Pay/ yr (INR)|
|Software Developer||₹217k – ₹1m|
|DevOps Engineer||₹342k – ₹2m|
|Software Engineer||₹274k – ₹1m|
|Principal Architect||₹2m – ₹4m|
Source – Payscale
Java Developer Salary in Other Countries
Source – Payscale
How to Prepare for Java Interviews?
If you are just starting out in the tech sector all of this information can be seen as overwhelming. Learning different languages, understanding the significance of responsibilities, career growth, market and the skills you need to work on.
On top of that what makes the situation more worrisome is cracking the interview.
But, don’t worry. Take a deep breath. We’ve got everything sorted for you.
Check out here everything to know about how to prepare for an interview for a java developer’s position.
- Prepare your answers.
- Work on your skills.
- Read about the company.
- Be confident.
- Trust your potential and capabilities.
If you want a crack at being a Java developer, this article will help you from what java is to the java developer’s salary. Learn everything and anything.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the average salary for a Java programmer?
The average salary of a Java Programmer in India ranges from ₹200k/yr to ₹1million/yr.
This pay scale structure varies because of the affecting factors like job roles, experience, skill-set, and location.
Is it hard to learn Java?
Every new thing or concept can look difficult. However, if you are really interested in learning Java, it would not be that hard. 2-3 hours/day of coding practices for a year or two could really help you achieve a lot.
Does Java have a future?
Yes, Java has a very bright future ahead. It might be 20 years old but with its latest updations, it is still positioned as the Number 1 programming language for developers. Therefore, Java has good market future demand in the coming years.
How long will it take to learn Java?
A minimum of 1-2 years is for sure required to learn Java. The years will increase based on the side skills you want to learn and the more in depth knowledge you want to gain regarding Java.
Should I learn Java or Python?
Every programming language has a different purpose and capabilities.
It is all about what you want to learn. If you want to go for a much in-depth understanding of programming go for Java. If you want to begin with a simplified syntax, choose python.