Preparing for an interview at your dream company? Want to crack that dream job role by impressing the interviewers? What if I tell you that it majorly depends on that one tricky question – why do you want to work here?
Be it an IT company or a National Bank, when giving an interview, this question is always asked the interviewees. While you may think that it’s a usual question; it’s not. Your answer to this question shows your purpose for joining the role, your dedication to it, and your end goals.
There can be several software engineers who say that I want to work here because of your keen interest in anything tech that leads to the implementation of innovative ideas in real-world scenarios. But is that enough? Not really.
There can be many answers to this question but in order to pass that interview, you have to say the exact thing that will help you get the role. In this blog, we will help you understand how to answer why you want to work here with simple steps and examples. Read on to know more.
Why Interviewers Ask “Why Do You Want to Work Here?”
Interviewers ask this question to determine and understand if you will be a valuable asset to their company and fit into the role well. This question is to find out if you will assist the existing team well and be able to run parallel with the company’s mission and vision. Every company/employer wants to recruit employees that enhance productivity.
But without a goal or purpose, there is none. The answer to the question ‘Why Do You Want to Work Here? conveys exactly that. The purpose of the candidate, how they will use their skills to enhance the company growth, and how you are the perfect fit for the particular job.
For example, if a company is conducting interviews to hire an efficient Software Engineer, they would want to hire someone that can understand what the company is trying to accomplish through its software. They will see if the candidate can balance perfectionism and pragmatism. And if they are not averse to mediocre tasks like bug fixing. These are all the points one needs to keep in mind before answering the main question—Why Do You Want to Work Here?
How to Answer “Why Do You Want to Work Here?”
Wondering how to answer why you want to work here? It’s simple. Your answer should be quick (try not to freeze up), your body posture should be right (sit with a straight back and a smile on your face), and answer confidently. Often the most underrated aspect of any interview, confidence is what helps us crack an interview even if we lack particular skills. Because as they say—skills can be taught, knowledge can be gained, but confidence is what comes from within.
Here are some quick tips on how you can be more confident while answering:
- Be thoughtful and thorough, and you will have a winning answer
- Explain why you want the position with a strong skill-set or experience to back your answer.
- Explain how you will help the company succeed
- Mention your past roles and success stories that you will use to enhance your present role.
- Shed light on your knowledge will complement the company’s vision
- Answer in a calm and polished way.
Still, trying to find that one best answer to ‘why do you want to work here? Have a look at the following examples.
Why Do You Want to Work Here Best Answer Examples
Example 1: I have always been inspired by your company’s contribution to technology. You have changed the world of Calibration by creating the best CRMs this generation has used. Thanks to your innovations in the tech sector, business owners can now operate their companies on the go. Your software has made remote work easy across the globe and hence I want to contribute to this vision of your company by becoming a part of it as a Software Engineer.
Explanation: Show them you have been following their organisation from quite a long and always admired their work. It will help you depict that you have genuine interest in the job.
Example 2: I read an article a few months ago on your founder’s vision of changing the dynamics of the banking sector by using the best technology there is. Being a tech enthusiast myself, I felt very excited hearing about the project and that excitement grew when I saw there was a job opening in my field here. I would love to work for a visionary man who wants to take technology to the next level for a better world.
Explanation: Tell them you remain up-to-date with the industry news and technologies. Hiring managers are more interested in people who are active in the industry.
Example 3: I have been an avid user of your software for several years and the innovations and developments made in the space have always impressed and inspired me. The dedication of your team to ensure that the customers understand the product with the given demos is what I appreciate the most. It will be my honor to be a part of this innovative team and use my skill set to continue the brilliant work you are doing here.
Explanation: The candidate didn’t just complement the company’s products — but also praised the quality of the products for both their reliable construction and their high-quality aesthetic. This insight into what makes these products so great is appealing to hiring managers, who can see that this candidate clearly knows and values what makes this company an all-around great place to work.
Example 4: My inclination toward technology and my keen interest in this field inspired me to gain knowledge that will add immense value to any project. I developed a skill set that will add value to companies building effective and efficient software to solve problems faced by companies in the IT sector. Having gone through your company profile, I observed how you are tirelessly working towards building software that aids this issue and hence I wish to contribute as an efficient software engineer.
Explanation: HR managers are undoubtedly one of the most hard-working people always wanting to make the company’s image better and better. Therefore, talking good about the company’s image can help in impressing the HR manager.
Example 5: I have read great reviews of your company on Glassdoor and other sites and would be honored to work for you as a software engineer. I will feel pride in working for a company with such an amazing track record. I will use my skills and knowledge to contribute greatly to the projects and work tirelessly to achieve the company’s goals. I will be a valuable asset to your company and would leave no stone unturned to accomplish the team’s mission.
Explanation: This response is perfect. It includes everything needed to make the decision. A candidate that is this enthusiastic about a company will do great things for it and add value that you can’t find anywhere else!
Why Do You Want to Work Here: Answers You Shouldn’t Give to This Question
There are answers that can get you a job and then there are answers that can make all your efforts go in vain. The answer to the question ‘Why do you want to work here should not include:
1. For the amazing salary package: No one wants to hire an employee who is only thinking about the paycheck. If you tell them that you are only inclined towards the money, they will not hire you. You should convince them that you will be a valuable asset to the company’s growth and not just join it for the sake of a good salary.
2. I need this job desperately: It’s good to be honest but certainly not like this. This could reflect badly on your profile and can mean that the role does not interest you, and it’s only the job that you are after. Employers are looking for candidates with skills and not a sob story.
3. It will be a good opportunity for my career: One of the cliches, that you should avoid using at all costs. This indicates that you are looking for a short-term opportunity and your end goal is something else. So why would an employer hire you for their organization?
4. Cause this company seems really great to work for: Generic answers don’t stand out, and they are a missed opportunity to showcase your passion for the opportunity. Let’s take the time to talk about why you’d be uniquely qualified for the XYZ position using concrete examples that showcase your real-life experience.
5. I don’t know, I saw your job opening and thought I should apply: Your goal is to show that you’re an ideal candidate, but it’s important not to come across as pushy. There has to be respect between you — a balance between showing interest and being overbearing.
6. Because leave the rest, I am the best: While you might be trying to show a little confidence and ease the pressure, such quirky and bizarre answers sound not-so-funny to the interviewer.
The job interview question, “Why do you want to work for us/with us/at our company?” is a popular question that hiring managers to ask. It also comes in many variations. Companies tend to ask this question because they want to make sure that you can see yourself doing this job for them for a long time. If you have no interest in the company, then why would they hire you?
While it might be one of the last questions towards the end of your interview, an inappropriate answer can prove to be unfavorable. Therefore, it’s quite crucial to answer perfectly.
Here are a few important points to consider while tackling such questions:
- Always be thoughtful and thorough when answering interview questions.
- This is a chance to showcase your hard work, drive, and passion for the position.
- Make sure that you clearly articulate how you can help the company achieve its goals and maybe even exceed them!
- Use this opportunity to show off what you’ve accomplished in previous roles and why those experiences make you the perfect candidate for this position.
All in all — Why do you want to work here? There are good answers, bad answers, and then, the BEST answer. Pick yours wisely.