- Who is a Front-end Developer?
- What Does a Front-end developer do?
- Front-End Developer Skills
- Front-End Developer Salary
- What Is The Demand For This Role?
- 1. Over 1.8 billion websites on the Internet
- 2. Topmost Technology of 2023
- 3. The Web is the Ultimate Goal
- How to Become a Front-end Developer?
- 1. Plan everything out
- 2. Be a master of the fundamental concepts
- 3. Practise your Skills
- 4. Read Previous Interview Experiences
- 5. Keep Updating your Resume
- 6. Remember to take breaks
- Frequently Asked Questions
Who is a Front-end Developer?
The main difference between Front-End and Back-End Development is that Front-End refers to how a web page looks (visual aspects of websites), whereas Back-End refers to how it works (invisible structure that helps websites function properly).
They focus on creating methods and designs that fit the user-centric approach and make the website easy and enjoyable for users to use with the help of enhanced website layouts, application visuals, and accessible interaction. From the colours and fonts to the designing aspects like sliders, and drop-down menus, a front-end developer creates and manages it all for improving the user experience. In short, they focus on creating a user-friendly and engaging experience for anyone who visits the site.
For example, one of the top companies and widely famous among us all – Netflix. Netflix’s front-end development is neat, precise, and aesthetic. In addition to this, their front-end developers focus on the user interface, user experience, and other aspects which are shown to the user.
Let’s explore their role in web development, how much they make, and how to become one:
What Does a Front-end developer do?
A front-end developer is a professional who has a keen eye for programming and designing at the same time. It’s all about developing better things that users would see first in their web browsers. Although there are some variations across companies, you can generally expect a front-end developer to include some or all of the following responsibilities:
Front-End Developer Job Description
- The main responsibility is to enhance the User interface of applications and websites.
- Build a front-end infrastructure with better designs, efficiency, and accessibility.
- Ensure the design is adaptable for cross platforms like Linux, macOS, and Windows, cross browsers like Safari, Firefox, and cross-device like PC, mobiles, etc.
- Be innovative with updated technologies.
- Collaborate and communicate with the back-end developers to keep them aligned with your vision and ideas.
- Following SEO best practices.
- Test runs, and looks out for errors.
- Managing software workflow.
Front-End Developer Skills
1. Technical Skills
If you want to work in front-end development, you need to know these main 3 languages:
- HTML ((Hypertext Markup Language): Essential building block for developing websites, allowing you to add special instructions to regular text for structuring web pages.
- CSS (Cascading Style Sheet): Used to style and design your web pages, controlling layout, colours, and overall appearance, complementing HTML.
Other technical skills you’ll need to become an effective front-end developer-
- Frameworks and Libraries
- CSS Preprocessors
- Responsive Design
- Cross-Browser Compatibility
- Version Control
- Testing and Debugging
- Command Line
- Web Performance
2. Soft Skills/ Non-Technical Skills
Following are the soft skills you’ll need to become an effective front-end developer-
If you are interested in learning more about these skills in-depth, check out our detailed blog on the Must Have Front End Developer Skills in 2023.
Front-End Developer Salary
Front-end developers are quite in demand by many employers from different industries – Banking, Education, Finance, Healthcare, etc. Their job role and the demand conclude with a significantly good average pay base for a front-end developer per year.
The average front-end developer salary is ₹487,445 per annum in India. The pay could go from a minimum of ₹194k per annum to a maximum of ₹2/3 Million per annum.
Check out different factors that can affect the salary of Front-end developers here.
What Is The Demand For This Role?
Over 1.8 billion websites on the world wide web
Web development is one of the top growing technologies this year.
Every Business is focusing on user needs.
Every industry is coming on the web for interaction.
These points are more than just facts. They are the marker of the defining surging demand for front-end developers. There is no denying that front-end development is quite in-demand amongst employers at present times. To understand why that is, let us read in more depth about these points.
1. Over 1.8 billion websites on the Internet
It is quite interesting about the number of websites on the internet. To maintain a seamless, interactive experience for the users and enhance the focus of users on their content, dedicated, highly-skilled front-end developers are required. Therefore, the higher demand for front-end developers.
2. Topmost Technology of 2023
The power and the features front-end development can produce are simply miraculous. No wonder why big tech giants like Amazon, and Netflix focus on creating visuals and application/website feel so live and interactive for their users. A front-end developer is responsible for all of this web development and maintenance.
3. The Web is the Ultimate Goal
Several businesses are expanding their horizon by going all digital for their customers/clients. From banking to education to finance, every sector is going on the web to take into consideration user demands for online bookings or online classes or online payments and so much more.
This in conclusion makes front-end developers top in the line for the most in-demand jobs in the technical field.
Therefore, it is an easy conclusion to draw from the above points that front-end development is one of the most in-demand jobs in India.
How to Become a Front-end Developer?
Front-end Developer Interviews are rigorous but not impossible. With proper planning, preparation and perseverance, you could crack the interview with ease. Read below for some tips and steps to prepare for a front-end developer interview.
1. Plan everything out
There is nothing better than planning out your whole course of action. Planning and giving a layout of your situations gives you standing about your position, your targets, and your actions. Plan about:
- Everything you need for your interview like the skills, practice time, experience, degree, etc.
- Your course of action is whether you will work on your resume first, or start reading on concepts, etc.
- Your targets like estimated time for preparation, or a daily study timetable, etc.
Planning this will give you a fair idea of where you want to go and how.
2. Be a master of the fundamental concepts
Even if you are an experienced professional it is better to brush up on your basics for your interview written or coding tests.
3. Practise your Skills
While preparing for interviews, you do not have much time to learn new skills. However, it is advisable to practice the skills you know for perfection. Practice daily different skills with different challenges. Challenge yourself every day for proficiency and mastery.
4. Read Previous Interview Experiences
Reading about previous experiences could give a glance at the style and level of the interview process for a company. It gives you perspective on do’s and don’ts while preparing. Solve previous interview questions.
Some of the previous year’s questions for front-end developer interviews are:
- What is Big O notation, and why is it useful?
- What frameworks have you used? What are the pros and cons of each? Why do people use frameworks? What kinds of problems do frameworks solve?
- Describe a few ways to communicate between a server and a client.
- What is the event loop?
5. Keep Updating your Resume
Start working on your resume. If you are a fresher, you have to start from the beginning so give yourself sufficient time to prepare a good front-end developer resume.
If you are an experienced employee, start looking for changes or modifications and proofread your resume before sending it out.
Check out the complete guide with examples to develop an effective Front-end Developer resume.
6. Remember to take breaks
During your preparation time, do not forget to relax. Too much stress will have a probable chance of ruining your interview experience.
So, take sufficient time for resting your mind and rejuvenating yourself physically.
If questions like front-end developer a good career choice, or if front-end development salary bothers you, then you should take a deep breath.
A front-end developer is one of the crucial and in-demand jobs of the present times. With the increase in the number of websites and applications, there is a surging demand for a front-end developer as well.
Top-tier companies like Netflix, Amazon, TCS, Deloitte, and others companies are looking for front-end developers who could create and design a user front that is efficient, user optimized, and interactive.
Working as a front-end developer is a road towards new learnings every day. From learning about different updates in technology to new skills every day.
If you want to grow and learn and be a part of the team that defines the face of a website or application, then this profile is perfect for you.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q.1: What are the steps to becoming a great Front end developer in 2023?
Ans: Step-by-Step Guide to Becoming a Great Front-end Developer
1. Get an Education Degree
- An undergraduate or Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or any other related field is the primary step towards becoming a front-end developer.
- Getting the right education and degree is important to understand the basic concepts and fundamentals of web development, basic skills, and comprehensive knowledge about computer programming and the front-end department.
- Although an educational degree is not a requisite for every company, however, is preferred by many organizations.
2. Enhance your Skills
- You cannot just brush up on all the skills instead, learn them step by step to work on proficiency and efficiency. Different skills will take you a long way in becoming a successful front-end developer.
3. Train yourself in Coding
- Coding is an essential part of your position. A front-end developer, whether starting fresh or switching jobs, should practice coding daily. Code for different functionalities, code with different software, and code on different platforms.
- Master your coding and learn to find errors and configure a solution. It is also advisable to be proficient in problem-solving questions and sufficient practice in Data structures and algorithms skills. Practising coding daily could enhance your work and efficiency.
4. Find your community
- Technology Sector is one of the fastest and biggest sectors in our country. There is likewise, a huge community out there for web developers- experienced, freshers, aspirants. Find your community on Discord, Reddit, or other interactive platforms and learn from them.
- Share your opinions, get to learn their perspectives, and update yourself about the new learnings. All of this will help you gain different perspectives and support from people like you. It boasts one’s confidence.
5. Build a work portfolio
- Experience as we read above matters a lot even in deciding the salary for the developer. In addition, working is a crucial step towards becoming a front-end developer for two reasons.
- First, when you start work in small organizations, you work on real-time projects, explore different opportunities and work on a wide spectrum with varied work roles. It helps you make a portfolio of your projects, achievements, and a roadmap of your journey.
- Second, working or interning from your college days gives you early exposure to the working of the organizations, your domain of work, and how your industry works. Plus, you meet new people and learn new things every day.
6. Upskill yourself
- After landing in your dream job, do not stop learning. Growth and success are possible only when you upskill yourself with time. There are so many new technologies evolving, and new updates in the software, keep learning those skills. It will give you a chance to grow professionally and find something better than your previous job or, it will help you work better and faster. So, do not stop growing and learning.
7. Ask for Feedback
- Feedbacks are always important. Ask for feedback from your heads, your team members, and even yourself. Your managers will give you feedback on your performance, your team will give you feedback on your personality, and, you as a self-analyzer will analyze with a holistic approach.
- The work does not end by asking for feedback, it starts after. Learn about your strengths and shortcomings and work on them. This is not a pathway written in stone but a general guide to how to start and work on becoming a successful front-end developer.
Q.2: Is Front End Developer a good career?
Ans: Yes, a front-end developer is a good career choice. It is in demand by some of the top-tier companies like Amazon, Deloitte, HCL, etc. Plus, the average pay base per year for a front-end developer is quite good. All in all, an in-demand position, with good pay, and new learning every day.
Q.3: What are front-end technologies?
Q.4: What are front-end developer skills?
Ans: The top 10 Front-end developer skills are
- HTML & CSS
- Knowledge of Version Control Systems like GIT
- Testing and Debugging Skills
- Responsive Design Skills
- Fundamentals of Control Management System
- Knowledge of automation and web-building tools and methods
- Soft Skills like creativity, problem-solving, time management, communication skills, and team-building skills