Java is the mother tongue of approximately 9 million developers around the globe. Developed first in 1995 by Sun Microsystems, Java has evolved to become one of the most popular languages to be used in the software industry. It is fast, secure, and reliable, therefore, used to make applications ranging from software design and gaming technology to web and mobile applications.
Speaking from programming notions, Java is concurrent, class-based, object-oriented, and based on bedrock languages like C and C++. This makes java extremely versatile, coder friendly, and skill-set in demand. With most large-scale companies having their software systems and backend services implemented in java, a java developer is one of the most sought jobs of 2021.
This article will give you a holistic overview of the job profile and help you get started with your journey to become the best in the field.
- What is Java Developer?
- Java Developer Salary
- Java Developer Skills
- Java Developer Job Description
- Java Developer Resume
- What Not To Do In Your Resume
- What To Include In Your Resume?
- Java Developer Resume For Fresher
- Java Developer Resume 5 Years Experience
- Java Developer Interview
- Additional Resources
What is Java Developer?
As a Java Developer, you will have opportunities to work with more than 64,000 MNCs who have a massive percentage of their products either made or supported by java coded software.
Though there has been a rise in the popularity of coding languages like python and go, java being robust and efficient, will not leave its mark anytime soon. And hence the opportunities to work as a java developer stay strong.
To give you a clear picture, we have evaluated numerous job descriptions and present you with a concise description of what to expect with the job in this section.
Two broad domains that java developers work in are: Software/Back-End Development and Mobile App Development
Software and Back-End Development
As software and backend developers, java developers contribute and work hands-on in all spheres of a project right from conceptualization, requirement gathering, fit-gap analysis, design, development to production implementation and support.
Here, the developer goes through the entire software development life cycle which includes:
- Design, implement, maintain and improve java application phases
- To take part in software and architectural development activities
- Conduct software analysis, programming, testing, and debugging
- Identify production and non-production issues
- Transform requirements into specifications
- Develop, test, implement and maintain software applications
- Recommend changes to improve established java application processes
- Develop system designs for application development
- Develop application codebase for java programs
To comply with these roles and responsibilities, one must develop the following java developer skills:
- Android Development – Java/Kotlin
- Git and GitHub
- API creation
- SQL and NoSQL Databases
- Data Structure and Algorithms
Tips for Acing Java Developer Roles
- Master Basics
You should know and understand basic concepts like loops, arrays, operators, and other basic functionality libraries. Also, focus on implementing OOPs concepts.
- Keep Practicing
After getting a hang of the basics, you can try learning Java EE (Enterprise Edition) aka advanced java. This includes technologies like Servlet, WebSocket, Java Server Faces, etc. for web specifications.
- Make Projects
This is something that you can add to your resume to showcase your problem-solving and practical coding skills.
- Learn Specific Libraries/Tools
Most Java Development Companies use Spring frameworks such as Spring Boot, Spring MVC, and Spring Cloud for developing web applications. Hibernate is also a very popular framework for mapping a domain object-oriented model to a relational database and the Hibernate Query Language.
Java Developer Salary
Java is in high demand because it is platform-independent. This means Java programmers can easily perform the transition from one computer system to a different one. It is the most used language in tech-based companies.
When it comes to remunerations, java developers are compensated handsomely.
Salary Based On Company
Here is a list of top companies and their average salary for the role of a Java Developer in India.
|Company||Salary Per Annum|
|Tata Consultancy Services Limited||Rs. 449000|
|Infosys Limited||Rs. 472000|
|HCL Technologies Ltd.||Rs. 472000|
|Cognizant Technology Solutions||Rs. 586000|
|IBM India Private Limited||Rs. 521000|
Salary Based on City
But not only India, Java developers are the most sought jobs all around the world with a sweet compensation. Let’s take a look at the average java developer salary across popular cities around the globe to better understand the demand:
|Gurgaon (NCR)||₹ 6,82,285/year|
|New York||$119,407 per year|
|Chicago||$102,264 per year|
|Dallas||$96,988 per year|
|Austin||$95,471 per year|
|San Jose||$90,206 per year|
With years of experience as a java developer, the compensation sees a fruitful increase. As an experienced developer, you not only get a higher payout but an opportunity as a product and a team lead.
New management roles also come with the responsibility which helps you transition to stronghold positions within the firm.
Salary Based On Roles (Global)
Let’s take a look at how different java developer roles grow in terms of average salaries with years of experience:
Global: Entry Level Java Developers Salary
|Entry Level Java Developers||Salary|
|Base Amount||$45568 – $90273|
|Bonus||$0 – $9370|
|Total Payout||$44750 – $96024|
Entry-level developers or interns work as trainees at these tech companies. The duration of training programs can last 2-6 months on average. Interns must know how to use the tools and libraries they chose to work with. These people should have a strong theoretical background and know the basics of practical programming.
Global: Junior Java Developers Salary
|Junior Java Developers||Salary|
|Base Amount||$43563 – $75414|
|Bonus||$0 – $5017|
|Total Payout||$42273 – $76021|
Junior java developer is the next stage for interns/trainees. They must start independently executing advanced technical assignments assisted by interns and supervised by senior java developers.
A junior java developer is expected to visualize structured architecture along with systems analysis, design, or programming and the associated development methodologies. To get this position, developers must have at least 2+ years of experience in the field.
Global: Senior Java Developers Salary
|Senior Java Developer||Salary|
|Base Amount||$73378 – $128273|
|Bonus||$0 – $12307|
|Total Payout||$75587 – $143901|
Senior Java developers are experienced in writing code, dealing with bad code, and knowing how to fix the issues up. They are aware of the functions and tasks an application performs and mentors junior developers and trainees. They can debug complicated problems and provide the fastest and efficient way possible.
They possess strong communication skills as they should not just offer the best solution but also convince a customer why the solution is best. To reach this position, one must have 5-10 years of experience.
Salary Based On Skills
Another metric to see how java developers get paid is their specialized skill set. More skills and qualifications can help a Java Developer earn more than their inexperienced and underqualified counterparts
Other skills that add value to your profile and might increase your payout:
- Simple Object Access Protocol (SOAP)
- Spring Framework
- Algorithm Development
- Cloud Computing
- Agile Software Development
- JavaServer Pages (JSP)
Java Developer Skills
There is an eclectic amount of java developer skills, from a thorough understanding of the basics to adapting to the latest developments. Java developers also need knowledge beyond the language itself, including how the development process works and how to navigate the environments in which the code runs.
One of the primary requirements is to complete a Bachelors’s/Masters’s Degree in Computer Science / Information Technology with a focus on software development. The secondary requirement is to complete an online or offline course specializing in Core and Advanced Java.
Additionally, work experiences and projects are the best way to showcase the skills you have developed. This shows you can code on real-world issues and your proficiency in the language. The more complex project, the better impression, and impact it will create on the hiring committee.
Let’s take a look at the exact skills that will set your base to become a successful Java developer:
Things to focus on – Syntax, Object-oriented programming (OOP), Design Patterns, Interface, Serialization, Data Structures, and Algorithms.
Relational Databases and Object Relational Mapping (ORM)
The technique for converting data between incompatible type systems using object-oriented programming languages. Focus on relational databases, such as MySQL, PostgreSQL, Redis, and MariaDB as well as tools like Hibernate and OpenJPA.
Java Build Tools
A skillful developer must be familiar with continuous integration (CI) and continuous deployment (CD). Build tools are programs that automate the creation of executable applications from source code that are necessary for CI/CD. Focus on Apache Maven, Gradle, Hudson, and Jenkins.
Java Web Frameworks
Supports developing web applications i.e. web services, web resources, and web APIs to build and deploy web applications on the World Wide Web. Focus on Spring MVC, Play, Java Server Faces.
Used to develop functionalities that encourage user authentication, logging, or establishing a connection with the database. Libraries/Applications on the learn JBoss and Jetty.
Java Testing Tools
They allow you to test JSP pages and Web Applications with an interface that doesn’t need to be launched in the web browser. Libraries/Applications on the lookout for JUnit, TestNG, and Selenium.
This technology helps to analyze and extract information from complex and huge data sets. Powerful Big Data libraries and application to learn: Hadoop and Spark.
Java EE Components
It helps to launch Servlet and JavaServer Pages APIs that provide methods for logging activities using cookies on a user’s browser. Java EE components to learn: Servlets, Java Beans, and Java Server Pages.
Principles of SOLID
A good java developer also follows SOLID. The principles include:
S: Single Responsibility Principle
O: Open-Closed Principle
L: Liskov Substitution Principle
I: Interface Segregation Principle
D: Dependency Inversion Principle
Java Developer Job Description
In this section, we will be covering all the expectations from a java developer. We also see what a typical java developer profile looks like with tips for your resume. And most importantly, give you pointers for preparing for java developer roles.
The roles and responsibilities of a Java developer/engineer vary greatly depending on the company and specific position. Some typical responsibilities:
- Design, implementing and maintaining Java applications that are often high-volume and low-latency, required for mission-critical systems
- Deliver high availability and performance
- Contribute to all phases of the development lifecycle
- Write well-designed, efficient, and testable code
- Conduct software analysis, programming, testing, and debugging
- Manage Java and Java EE application development
- Ensure designs comply with specifications
- Prepare and produce releases of software components
- Transform requirements into stipulations
- Support continuous improvement
- Investigate alternatives and technologies
- Present for architectural review
As a Java developer, you will be part of the IT/Software Product team within an organization. Depending on how your enterprise is structured, there could be a single software team, or much smaller software teams that work on individual projects often practiced in agile environments.
Java Developers are also hired on different levels based on their experience. These levels can often be categorized with the years of experience one has:
- Entry-level Java developers – Zero years of experience or Internships.
- Mid-level / Junior Java developers – 1-2+ years of experience.
- Senior Java developers – 5-10+ years of experience.
Profile based Job Descriptions
Typical java developer profiles expect employees to work on software/back-end development or mobile application development. General qualification and requirements include the following:
- B.Tech/B.Sc in Computer Science and Engineering / Information Technology
- Work Experience (Depending on the level of role)
- Soft Skills – Communication
Let’s take a look at a typical job description for different java developer profiles:
Senior Software Engineer Job Description – Java with React
Company: UnitedHealth Group
Follow the terms and conditions of the employment contract, company policies, and procedures. The Company may imply, vary or rescind these policies and directives in its absolute judgment and without any limitation (implied or otherwise) on its ability to do so.
- Undergraduate degree or equivalent education
- JAVA 8, SOAP, REST, Spring, Hibernate, ReactJS, SQL, basic cloud concepts
- Any Java optimization tool experience
- Strong development experience in building and fine-tuning REST/SOAP-based web services, Angular and has very good knowledge of SQL as well
- Good grasp in Spring and Hibernate
- Good grasp of Containerization and Cloud technologies
- Good grasp of Security features
- Good grasp of Agile, CI/CD and Jenkins, etc.
Backend Developer Job Description – Java/Node.js
We are looking for developers who want to help us design Avant-grade scalable products to meet our swift-growing business. We are building out a team and looking for multiple levels but you should have at least 3 years of programming experience.
- Develop high accessibility and extremely reliable high-volume transactional systems.
- Deliver reliable and efficient solutions that handle immense data and high traffic.
- Skills required
- MS or BS/B.Tech in computer science or equivalent educational background from top colleges.
- Hands-on experience in coding advanced Java, Node.js applications.
- Experience and knowledge of open source tools & frameworks, eclectic cutting edge technologies around server-side development.
- Outstanding data structure & algorithm and problem-solving skills.
- Active contributor to developer communities like Stackoverflow, Topcoder, Github, Google Developer Groups (GDGs).
Bonus if you have:
- Familiarity with: Java, PHP, Couchbase, DynamoDB
- AWS experience
- Full-stack knowledge
- Prior startup experience
Java Developer Resume
Resume outlines your skills and training, work experiences, and educational background, and, most importantly, the accomplishments you have made with past employers. It also informs the hiring committee of your career objective and communicates concisely the benefits you will bring to the job if hired.
A resume is an advertisement. It advertises you, your unique skills and qualifications, and it stresses the benefits you have to offer. Some common resume ethic one should maintain is as follows:
- Margins – One-inch margins on all sides
- Font – Pick a professional font that stands out.
- Font Size – Use a font size of 11-12pt for normal text and 14-16pt for headers
- Line Spacing – Use 1.0 or 1.15 line spacing
- Resume Length – Don’t go over the 1-page limit.
What Not To Do In Your Resume
On the contrary, one must keep in mind of what NOT to do in your resume, which follows:
- Too much information
- Spelling mistakes and grammatical errors
- Inaccuracies about your qualifications or experience
- Unnecessary personal information
- Your age
- Negative comments about a former employer
- Details about your hobbies and interests
- Passive language
- Tiny text
- Miscellaneous extra content
What To Include In Your Resume?
As a java developer, your resume should talk in length about your skillset in java, projects, and work experiences if any. Your resume must have the following sections:
- Work Experience
- Contact Information
Additionally, you can add the following sections to highlight your profile as skilled personnel.
- Awards & Certification
- Interests & Hobbies
Java Developer Resume For Fresher
For entry-level jobs, java developers’ resume must follow the following guidelines:
- Lists industry-relevant education in computer science or a related field
- Includes work experience that involves the use of Java technologies gained by volunteering or an internship
- Demonstrates adequate skills in written communication that suit this position
- Includes employment history that shows the ability to work in a team setting
- Lists experience that shows discipline and demonstrates proactivity
Java Developer Resume 5 Years Experience
For intermediate/senior positions, java developers’ resume must follow these guidelines:
- Lists a minimum of five years of programming experience that involves using Java technologies to build applications
- Includes at least two years of experience in a managerial position in computer or web development
- Contains skill credentials that are recognized by the industry
- Demonstrates hard and soft skills relevant to a Java Developer position
- Possesses relevant educational qualifications
- Communicates the key traits needed for the position, such as leadership
Java Developer Interview
Java Developer based interviews are different from traditional programming interviews. Questions are asked from Data Structures and Algorithms like String or Array, but even if this is weak, you can still manage to clear Java interviews. The questions are a little bit easier and more practical than what is asked for SDE roles.
Another essential thing about Java interviews is questions based upon Java programming language and JDK API. Since Java is also an Object-oriented programming language, you will find lots of OOP questions there.
A list of common interview topics is as follows:
- Java Fundamentals
- Object-Oriented Concepts
- Data Structure and Algorithms
- Multithreading, concurrency, and thread basics
- Date type conversion and fundamentals
- Garbage Collection
- Java Collections Framework
- GOF Design Patterns
- SOLID design principles
- Abstract class and interface
- Generics and Enum
- Java IO and NIO
- Common Networking protocols
- Regular expressions
- JVM internals
- Java Best Practices
- Date, Time, and Calendar
- XML Processing in Java
For skill-specific roles, one shall prepare and have projects using those specific skills. For Example Java Web Service, REST API, SOAP API, JSON, XML, and other relevant topics.
Java Interview Resource
- Java Interview Questions
- Java 8 Interview Questions
- Spring Boot Interview Questions
- Hibernate Interview Questions
- Learn Java
- Java MCQ
- Online Java Compiler
- Practice Coding
- Full Stack Developer Skills
- Java Projects
- Java 8 Features
- Best Java IDE
- Java 9 Features
- Java 11 Features
- Java Books
- Characteristics of Java
- Top Java Applications
- Software Engineer vs Software Developer
Java has consistently been ranked as the most popular language worldwide. As a college student, it is usually the first programming language to begin with, and has an immense amount of scope for skill development.
If you are looking for a career switch into the technical side, java is one of the most essential skills.
According to surveys, more and more organizations are turning to Java as the language of preference to help modernize their applications. By 2024, the demand for Java Developers is expected to grow up to 19%.
The median salary for Indian-based Java Developers is over Rs. 4.5 LPA and goes up depending on career level, experience, and location. These facts make the role of a java developer a lucrative one with long-term benefits.